What is the form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative?

The form I-130 is used for US citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPR) to establish your relationship with an eligible relative who wishes to come to or remain in the US permanently and receive a green card. This form is just the first step in the process of helping your relative to immigrate to the US.

When this petition is approved, your relative may apply to become a permanent resident. If your relative is outside the US, the process is done via the US consulate. If your relative is inside the US, we may apply for adjustment of status.

There are two categories of relatives: immediate family members and family preference. For immediate family members, there is always a green card available. However, the second category must wait until a visa number is available before they can apply for either Form I-485 or for a visa.

Who can file form I-130?

US citizens can file the form I-130 for their spouses, children, parents, and siblings. Green card holders can file I-130 petitions for their spouses and unmarried children.

Grandparents, grandchildren, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, cousin or parent-in-law cannot file form I-130 and other family members cannot file for the I-130 petition.

Our office is ready to help your family members immigrate to the US. If you need a consultation, schedule an appointment with and we will answer all your questions.