Can I work remotely in the US on a tourist visa?

No. To work in the United States, even remotely, you must have a work authorization. And the tourist visa does not provide this authorization. Currently, the United States does not offer, for example, a nomad visa. The nomad visa, for example, allows a foreigner to temporarily live and work outside their country. This is still incompatible with US laws, which require appropriate work authorization for this work model.

What if I work while in the US?

Even if the employer is foreign and the salary is being received through a foreign account, you will still be violating the rules of your tourist visa. And your visa can be canceled and you can also be removed from the US. This may also impact the issuance of future visas.

Immigration laws establish that in addition to a work permit, it is also necessary to comply with the rules of your visa, respecting the limits.

The B-1/B2 visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows you to travel to the US temporarily for tourism or specific business.

And the opposite, is it allowed? Can I work for an American employer from a different country?

It depends on the employer, work rules and country’s immigration laws. It is necessary to research information about visas, work permits and tax collection before moving to work remotely in another location. In some locations, a worker must pay local taxes and US taxes when working for an American company.

Some countries that offer a nomad visa are:

  1. Croatia
  2. Portugal
  3. Brazil
  4. Mexico
  5. Germany
  6. Malta
  7. Bahaas
  8. Cape Verde
  9. Estonia
  10. Barbados
  11. Georgia
  12. Spain
  13. Hungary
  14. Norway
  15. Colombia
  16. Argentina
  17. Costa Rica
  18. Bermuda shorts
  19. Greece
  20. Czech Republic
  21. Iceland
  22. Antigua and Barmuda
  23. Anguilla
  24. Dubai